Students Entering 2007-2008 to 2010-2011 Bulletin

*** Students who entered UM Fall 2007 through Spring 2011 who wish to change to the new requirements may do so, however, all other degree requirements will be determined by the 2011-2012 Bulletin, which includes the requirements for other majors and minors the student may have. Before making a change to the 2011-2012 Bulletin, students must consult with the advising office in their school to determine if this change affects requirements in areas beyond the major in French, German or Spanish. Changing to the new requirements may be advantageous for students who are early in their UM careers (first or second year). For students who are advanced in the major and have taken cognate courses to count toward the major, a change is probably not advisable.  

Major in French, German, or Spanish

A major consists of at least 30 credits beyond the 200-level, distributed as follows: at least 9 credits must be at the 300 level; at least 6 credits must be above the 300 level; 3 credits must be at the 500 level (capstone course); 6 credits may be taken in courses not in the target language (in MLL or not) that are relevant to the course of study, in consultation with the advisor. MLL 505 (taught in English) may count toward the 30 credits, but cannot replace the capstone course in the target language. Five writing intensive classes (W) in the department are required of all majors. Students majoring in Spanish are required to take one full 3-course sequence of survey courses in either Peninsular or Latin American Literature, or a combination of both that covers all three chronological periods.  That is, Spanish majors must take 353 OR 363; 354 OR 364; and 355 OR 365.  Only one professional Spanish course (SPA 432 or SPA 433) will count towards the Spanish major, although students are free to take both. Students with transfer credits at the 300-level must take at least 21 graded credits at or above the 300-level at the University of Miami; i.e., up to 9 credits at the 300- and 400-level may be transferred from another institution or a study abroad program not administered by UM. Up to 12 credits taken abroad in a UM-administered program may count towards any of the majors in the Department.  When planning to study abroad, students should keep in mind UM residency requirement (i.e., the last 45 credits must be taken in residency). UM’s study abroad programs count as residency. Students must earn a grade of C- or higher in every course counting toward the major, and maintain a minimum overall average of 2.5 in the major.


All students are required to take a 500-level capstone course in residence during their last semester in the major (501).  This course will:

  • Integrate the various skills acquired during the course of study (linguistic, analytical, knowledge-based);
  • Incorporate interpretive as well as presentational modes of communication;
  • Contain an over-arching and cohesive theme;
  • Include an element of collaboration among students.

It will constitute a moment of recapitulation of, synthesis, and reflection on a student’s experience in the major as well as a bridge towards graduate-level studies, should s/he decide to pursue them.

NOTE :  Continuing majors and minors can opt for the major and minor as defined in the Bulletin  of their entering year at UM. No changes will apply to current majors and minors except that the 500-level requirement for majors will now be fulfilled with the capstone course [501].

Double Majors

All areas of literature studies are covered in the curriculum, with faculty often emphasizing comparative literature, critical theory, and multicultural and cross-disciplinary issues.  Many students combine advanced foreign language study with majors in other fields. Students who major in foreign language may choose second majors in pre-law fields such as International Studies, Communications, History, and Political Science; and in pre-med fields such as Biology, as well as in other fields such as Finance, Latin American Studies, Anthropology, Computer Science, Sociology, and Philosophy.

You do not have to be a student in the College of Arts and Sciences to major or minor in a Modern language; you need only the approval of your college or school advisor and to complete the departmental requirements.  If you wish to complete a double degree, consult with an Arts and Sciences advisor.